Thursday, June 3, 2010

Midwestern Slush: good news and bad news

So at this past weekend's BBQ I chose to make my Mom's slush recipe, and I learned a lesson - it takes at least 6 hours for the slush to freeze.  So, the bad news was - the slush didn't set up in time for our guests to enjoy it.  The good news is that now we have SLUSH FOR DAYS! But the bad news is I am battling a cold virus and can't taste a damn thing.  In any event, I wanted to share the recipe for this cold, boozy, Midwestern treat (if I wanted to be uppity, I'd call it a "granita"...but it is what it is and what it is is slush):


Midwestern Slush
Boil 2 c. water with 4 black tea bags, and once it gets properly steeped, set aside to cool.  Bring 7 c. water and 2 c. sugar to a boil, til the sugar dissolves. Set this aside to cool also.  Once both those have cooled, combine the tea and sugarwater with:


1 can frozen lemonade
1 can frozen orange juice
whiskey to taste (my mom said one-fifth, but I used half a $19.99 bottle of Jim Beam)


Stir til consistent, and freeze.  Once frozen, scoop slush into glasses and top with 7-up or ginger ale.  


(Sorry no photos. And yes, its a heckuva lotta sugar, BUT its delicious)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...this is sounds perfect for a hot summer day. I too am a summer slush fan..Here is a link to one of my favorites from Cooking Light:

    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=223371

    ReplyDelete