Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Post Wedding ... Post


October 10th, 2009 - a day that will surely reign in history as DC's most awesome and fun and positively delightful day, and, also, the day we got hitched.


I feel free. No longer am I hopelessly devoted to my bridal blogroll. No longer am I crunching numbers and playing out scenarios in my head. No longer am I keeping a Wedding To-Do list (in its many iterations). No longer am I freaking out about being treated like a bride (like you're teetering on the edge of sanity, so people are a little hesitant but they still squeal and call you "the bride"...and you feel pressure to act a certain squealy way too, and its too damn much for me).


We had our wedding. And it was fun. And all our friends and family are claiming that they had a blast (and from the photos, I believe them). I felt lots and lots of love that whole weekend. The ambience was on point. The food was delicious. There were Ugandan dancers. We danced til 2:45am on pure adrenaline and positive energy. And it was perfectly "us". It was something that we collaborated on, something that we both put effort into, and something, in the end, that we both felt ownership of. I think that's important.


We are married. Married life has been good to us. It was especially good to us whilst gallavanting in Napa Valley - sniffing, swirling and sipping wines, floating in the hotsprings, and eating luxurious and delicious food. The terminology is taking some getting used to - I giggle to myself when I've called him my "husband" (just when I was getting used to "fiance"!), and he's still getting the hang of it as well.


It's been a whirlwind. Started a new job in early July, we bought our first house in mid-July, and we just got married. I'm looking forward to just settling into all of it and nesting for awhile. I'm soaking up my favorite season, autumn, and looking forward to buying new flannel sheets, walking on crunchy leaves, hosting gatherings with friends and mulled cider, and hunkering down to watch seasonally appropriate movies. Yes. That is what I live for. That, my husband, wine, and my family. I live for all of that. And its all good.

I'm slightly surprised by some of the things I'm feeling though. Like the need for positive reinforcement. I feel like we poured blood, sweat, tears, and all of our savings into this wedding, and what we got out of it was invaluable and awesome. But I still want everyone to reiterate the fact that they had an amazing time. Even though I know they did. There's photographic evidence. But I still want to hear it, and I find myself asking people "how much fun" they had as if I want it on a scale from 1 to 10 (and the correct answer is 12). Like I alluva sudden got competitive, and I want to win the "Best Wedding" award so badly. So weird, I am.

Because I'm self indulgent and I want to document some of this awesomeness that happened on October 10th, I'm going to spread out the fun in a few wedding posts. Then I'll get back on track with stuff about food and other fun things.

No comments:

Post a Comment